Who We Are
We believe that 21st century business challenges require ideas that solve real business problems with real world solutions. Práctico Innovation is a private company structured to discover creative and practical innovative ideas often hidden in plain sight communities of underrepresented entrepreneurs. Using our approach of linking science and technology to these ideas, allows for current business owners and entrepreneurs in these communities to achieve growth and profitability.
Our inspiration comes from the fact that many for-profit global companies have successfully mined local residents within Latin America, Africa, Asia and parts of the United States for insights to create commercial products and services. Think about tires, liquid detergent, cell phone chargers and drinkable yogurts as small examples that can be traced to consumer behavior observations in under-represented global communities.
- In five years, we’ve reviewed over 200 business ideas from three communities of underrepresented entrepreneurs – Latinos, Blacks and Asians.
- 75% of the business ideas are from Rhode Island residents born in the U.S.
- 25% are foreign born from different countries including Nigeria, Peru, Cambodia, Cape Verde, the Gambia and Portugal.
- 15 companies have received micro financial investments, strategic coaching, workshop training and network introductions. 47% are owned by women.
- 64% utilize smart manufacturing to create physical products. (robots, recycling machines, smart windows, cleaning tools, gaming devices) and 36% of the business ideas are applications using software and mobile technology.
- 27% of the companies have patented products.
If you can answer these four questions (seriously just 4) then we are interested in speaking with you:
- What business value have you created?
- How does science or technology help you deliver this value?
- Who is the target audience that will use your product or service?
- How will you make money?
Founder and Chief Thinker
A seasoned technology, strategy and entrepreneurial executive. Early internet pioneer including launch of Plural professional services and Founder of C2 Strategy. Startup advisor to several tech product companies.
Co-founder and Lead Builder
Founder and President of kippkittsLLC building ingenious products for the 21st century. Serial creator with discoveries in audio and cooling products. Research scientist at MIT Media Lab and Make magazine advisor to tech startups.
Co-founder and Lead Scientist
Founding member and chief innovation officer of IGT (formerly GTECH). Patented gaming idea innovator with key contributions to lottery and card based platforms. Computer scientist, teacher and advisor to tech companies.
Director-Center for Women & Enterprise
A seasoned executive who directs one of the largest business training platforms in New England. With over 1500 classes in Rhode Island, her women’s empowerment approach has assisted hundreds over the years.
Founder& Director-RI Welcome Back Center
Largest immigrant services program benefiting professionals with science based skills. With a unique focus on health care, engineering and professionals with legal services backgrounds, RIWBC offers both specific training and employment assistance.
Director-Center for Southeast Asians
Orchestrates learning services for community of 36,000 South East Asians. With a broad range of expertise in tax prep,housing,food and business activities, CSEA is the community focal point for all information.
With an entrepreneurial and micro-businesses focus for urban growth and development, UV provides individual counseling to both startup and existing urban businesses in RI.
John Florez (Contest Judge)
Founder & President-Drupal Connect
Premier open source application development firm servicing Fortune 250 and startup companies. With offices in Newport and New York this company’s growth in three years has landed it on the Inc 500 list.
Oscar Mejias (Contest Judge)
Founder & President-Emerging Studies Institute
A bilingual vocational and technical school which provides skills assessment and training.