Who We Are
We believe that 21st century business challenges require ideas that solve real business problems with real world solutions. Práctico Innovation is a private company structured to discover creative and practical innovative ideas often hidden in plain sight communities of underestimated entrepreneurs. Using our approach of linking science and technology to these ideas, allows for current business owners and entrepreneurs in these communities to achieve growth and profitability.
Our inspiration comes from the fact that many for-profit global companies have successfully mined local residents within Latin America, Africa, Asia and parts of the United States for insights to create commercial products and services. Think about tires, liquid detergent, cell phone chargers and drinkable yogurts as small examples that can be traced to consumer behavior observations in underestimated global communities.
- In six years, we’ve reviewed over 200 business ideas from three communities of underestimated entrepreneurs – Latinos, Blacks and Asians.
- 75% of the business ideas are from Rhode Island residents born in the U.S.
- 25% are foreign born from different countries including Nigeria, Peru, Cambodia, Cape Verde, the Gambia, Portugal and others.
- 20 companies have received micro financial investments, strategic coaching, workshop training and network introductions. 40% are owned by women.
- 55% utilize smart manufacturing to create physical products. (robots, compounding machines, smart windows, green tech cleaning tools, 3D food forms) and 45% of the business ideas are applications using software and mobile technology.
- 25% of the companies have patented products.
If you can answer these four questions (seriously just 4) then we are interested in speaking with you:
- What business value have you created?
- How does science or technology help you deliver this value?
- Who is the target audience that will use your product or service?
- How will you make money?
Founder and Chief Thinker
A seasoned technology, strategy and entrepreneurial executive. Early internet pioneer including launch of Plural professional services and Founder of C2 Strategy. Startup advisor to several technology companies.
Co-founder and Lead Builder
Founder and President of kippkitts LLC building ingenious products for the 21st century. Serial creator with discoveries in audio and cooling products. Research scientist at MIT Media Lab and Make magazine advisor to tech startups.
Co-founder and Lead Scientist
Founding member and chief innovation officer of IGT (formerly GTECH). Patented gaming idea innovator with key contributions to lottery and card based platforms. Computer scientist, teacher and advisor to tech companies.
Bank of Newport – Senior Community Engagement Officer
A seasoned executive who focuses on small business development and economic security. Former Director of the Center for Women & Enterprise in Rhode Island and former Senior Strategist at the RI Foundation.
Founder & Director-RI Welcome Back Center
Largest immigrant services program benefiting professionals with science based skills. With a unique focus on health care, engineering and professionals with legal services backgrounds, RIWBC offers both specific training and employment assistance.
Director – Center for Southeast Asians
Orchestrates learning services for community of 36,000 South East Asians. With a broad range of expertise in tax prep,housing,food and business activities, CSEA is the community focal point for all information.